Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Vacation Part 3


One of the highlights of our vacation was going to be to take the boys to see the volcanoes on the west coast.  They saw Mt. Hood and Mt. Baker but it was too cloudy to see Mt. Rainer and Mt. St. Helens.  We drove right up to the top observatory at St. Helens and were right in the cloud so that was disappointing for the boys and Tim.

 I saw St. Helens in 1985, it was a sunny day but the landscape was still very grey and only a few plants were starting to grow after the 1980 eruption. To see the surrounding area green and colourful 26 years later was wonderful.


Then off to Vancouver, B.C. to visit my sister for a few days.
Our favourite adventure there was going to the Capilano Suspension Bridge, a must if your visiting this area.



Once you walk across the bridge there is a Treetop walk in the 1000 year old Douglas Fir forest.



We also did the Skywalk and a glass floor walkway off the rock cliff.


Once our time in Vancouver was over we had a three day drive back home with a planned stop in Lake Louise and Banff.  Fortunately I had a few address of quilt shops I wanted to check out along the way. The best was in Kamloops called Katja's Quilt Shop, I highly recommend this shop if your driving in that area.

So in the end, in addition to my Fabric Depot shopping, I had acquired this pretty pile of fabrics too.  If you might recall I had made a New Years Resolution to not buy precuts if I didn't have a plan, well I was sooo good on this trip until Katja's shop.  The two little rolls and fat quarters were from her shop.


When we got home we discovered that we had a bit of rain when we were gone and the lake level is now at the highest we have ever seen and the end of our dock is floating!  Our neighbours dock is completely covered.




3 comments:

  1. More gorgeous photos!! Those bridges are too much!! Wow, I would've kept my eyes closed the whole time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. trop beau les tissus,l'air marin inspire les tons de bleus superbe choix

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I was on vacation too, with your great photos!! Looks like you had a fabulous time and did some great quilty shopping, but I am sure you are glad to be home. Thanks for sharing your photos!!
    Karen H

    ReplyDelete