Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Around the World Quilt

 marg9
Woke up to –29’c this morning (-36’ wind-chill) and out I went to shovel off  the ice to take some pictures of Marg’s quilt!  This one is called Around the World and is a variation on the traditional Trip Around the World quilt.  She used flannel fabrics and we decided on Whilygig for the panto design.marg7 marg8
So this will be my ice patch for this year, I shoveled it right at the end of our dock as I don’t want to venture to far out.  It is pretty rough and you can see where the holes in the ice were by those high spots.  I might try to chip away at those spots as they make it hard to shovel. ( There nothing like getting the handle of a snow shovel  jammed into your stomach when you get stuck on a bump! )  I noticed more holes in the ice out in the middle of our bay so I have no plans on going for a walk out there anytime soon.  Marg’s quilt is 80” x80” so this pictures gives you an idea of the size of rink I cleared which is much smaller than I normally start with as they tend to shrink with each snowfall.  We had 62cm of snowfall in November, wonder what December will bring!
marg10marg11

9 comments:

  1. Oh so pretty Kathy!! Love the quilt and quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely quilt! And how nice to be able to shovel an ice rink right outside your house. Brings back memories of the years in Calgary when my dad would flood the back yard, or the neighborhood dads would flood a flat spot for us all - so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way Barb set the four patches so they radiate out from the centre. It's very effective!

    At least with the cold comes the sun as well. I love that rink -- so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy, I've been busy and haven't had a chance to visit here for a while. Wow! You have been sew busy! I love the design of the Around the World Quilt, so different and so pretty. Then the custom job you did on the Curve It Up Quilt, simply gorgeous, beautiful fabrics! Love the Perfect 10 and the Hugs & Kisses too. The beautiful Christmas quilt, Flurry, makes me smile just to look at it and I really love the quilting you did there, suits it perfectly! Lots of snow falling here and the roads are icy. I've at the MTS Centre all week watching one game per day. Woohoo! Talk to you soon, my friend! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful quilt and quilting! The rink brings back fond memories from growing up in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy: Beautiful quilting. Awesome setting of a Alternate Trip Around the World.
    Flannel, ice, snow what could be better than that... other than a cup of hot chocolate :)
    Nice job on the snow shovelling! How long did it take you to do all that shovelling?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you went out in weather like that! But the pictures and the quilt do look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe it is so cold where you live. I live in Napanee Ontario and it was + 10°C yesterday. I love the way the "Around the World" turned out.
    Your quilting looks amazing on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Привет из снежной России!!! У нас как раз сейчас снега нет, несмотря на январь месяц. Очарована вашими одеялами. Прекрасная работа!!! Рада, что попала на ваши странички!

    ReplyDelete