Saturday, May 17, 2014

Polka Dot Pinwheel

 

helen4

This is Helen’s Pinwheel baby quilt and when she brought it to me she said the polka dot fabric reminder her of Minnie Mouse.  She asked if I could incorporate a quilting design with the Minnie Mouse theme as her granddaughter loves Minnie Mouse.  I had no clue what to do at first but gave it some thought.  After searching online for images of Minnie I realized her main accessory is her bow and realized that would be the perfect design to recreate.

helen2

I printed out a bow image and using my sewing machine without thread I stitched along the outline to perforate the image.  I didn’t follow the outline exactly as I didn’t want the bow to be as tall as in the image.   I then used my Chalk Pounce pad and transferred the bows into the black fabric.

pounce helen3

I was pretty pleased with how it turned out!  :)   You can see the quilt has a border of Prairie Points and I also quilted loops in the border and sashing to go with the polka dot theme.

helen1

There is still ice out on the lake but it is only 2” to 4” thick and melting quickly from the shoreline.  Tim and I got the canoe out and went for a paddle around our bay and then around the island that you see in the distance in my last photo.   The wind has been blowing the ice towards the island today so I didn’t think we would make it around but we managed to squeeze thought a few tight spots and break the ice in a few areas!  That was a lot of fun and I’m glad we didn’t get stuck out there!

8 comments:

  1. Ihastuttava peitto ja niin hauska. Hyrräblokki on niin kaunis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling quilt! Your quilting and the prairie points elevate this from a kinda cute quilt to a wonderful one. I'm sure the granddaughter will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really adorable and the perfect design idea. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect quilting for this quilt! Thanks for sharing how you created your bow stencil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really Mini Mouse! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Minnie Mouse bow indeed! Way to go Kathy.
    Great to see you back again. Many prayers for
    your Grandmother and Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have water!:) no more snow :) the quilting is amazing and gorgeous as usual :)

    ReplyDelete