Thursday, March 10, 2016

Gravity Quilt #2


This is Phyl's Gravity quilt and it is a pattern by Jaybird Designs.   I quilted one last year and you can see it here.  Phyl liked how I quilted the first one so left if up to me to make any changes I wanted.  I was really happy with the straight lines for the background so kept that the same as it really allowed the center to shine.  I quilted the blocks similar but changed a few blocks so it wasn't exactly the same.



 It was a beautiful morning and only -3' with fog.  Made for great pictures!


I used invisible MonoPoly from Superior thread for the top and a grey Bottom Line for the bobbin thread. Its a great time saver as there was no thread changes.  Batting is Quilters Dream Blend.




When I quilt the straight lines I mark them out first with a Bohin chalk pencil and divide the diamond spaces in fourths.  When I am echoing the star the space is 1 1/2"and when I mark the rays they are spaced 1 5/8".


The quilting is 90% ruler work and I used three different sizes of the Quilted Pineapples Curved Templates for the blocks.  I ordered Linda's new QP Edge rulers and they arrived just as I was finishing this quilt so only got to use them for a few of the rays.  I think they will be a great addition to my ruler collection as the marking on them are great!



You can see the snow is now higher than the dock!  We had 10" of fresh snow fall on Monday and now the temperatures are going above freezing so it's going to be a big wet mess around here soon.


This is ankle deep slush where I use to keep the ice clear from snow!





13 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the Pineapple curved rulers...might have to check out the edge set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, but maybe most of all the settings for your photo shoot. I had to make do with ordinary green grass, and while I was trying to make sure the quilt top stayed flat, kept thinking of your wonderful snowy backdrops. Fab quilting, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! This is a great pattern, and your thoughtful quilting is the perfect finishing touch.

    I'm so glad to see you are still getting fresh snow. After 16 C here yesterday, we have both snowdrops and early crocus in bloom. Two weeks earlier than ever before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful Kathy! Gorgeous quilting on a gorgeous quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is fanstastic! IF I ever get mine finished.... its coming your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a fantastic job quilting the Gravity quilt. Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really is very beautiful. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous quilt! Beautiful quilting! Outstanding scenery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beyond fabulous quilting! What an awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work is gorgeous. I think I need you to finish my projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt and quilting is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete