Sunday, April 2, 2017

Teaching and Travel.

shop1

I had a busy week last week as it was Spring Break and we travelled down to Winnipeg to help move my mother in law from her house into a 55+ apartment complex.  We got her settled and the house is now up for sale and I think she will be very happy in her new home.  While we were down there I arranged to teach a Beginner Quilting Class at Road 17 N  Quilt Shop in Winkler, MB.  The shop owner Shari just moved her shop to a new location and it is so bright, open and inviting!  I thought I would share a few pictures of her shop so you can see this one should be on your ‘must stop’ list when you travel through Southern Manitoba.

shop2

They set up a waiting area with a couch, TV and kids table.  Very smart!

shop3shop4

I found a few of our Highway 10 Designs quilts on her wall too!  Here is Lug Nuts over the Popcorn bar.

shop5

And here is a miniature version of our Good Vibrations pattern.

shop6

Now to the reason I’m there!  I was teaching a Beginner Quilting Class and we made a baby sized Quarter Sections quilt.  Many of the 13 students had never made a quilt before and some that had quilted before  made the larger versions.  The classroom was large and bright so everyone had lots of room to work and there was a higher cutting table for everyone to use. I’m happy to report there were no injuries/bloodshed during the class!

class1

Here is Verena and Ann working on twin sized quilts.  I loved the fabric Ann was working with so I ended up coming home with my own bundle of Sunday Supper by Sweet Water! 

class2

I had a mother/daughter teams working together which is lovely to see.  They were working on a twin size quilt with fun Cotton and Steel fabrics.

class3

There is Shari helping me out with my class because she is awesome!

class4

Here are a few of the baby quilts up on the design walls and one with the center finished.  Most of the student finished all there blocks and some were able to finish sewing the centers together.

class5class6

Love the fabrics on this one that Stephanie did!

class7

Thank you to everyone that took my class and to Shari for inviting me out to teach!  I hope we have hooked a few more ladies into our quilting world!

7 comments:

  1. Will you be in Winnipeg for the Easter weekend? We are looking at going there then. The last time that we were in Winnipeg, I remember being very disappointed that they didn't have a decent quilt store...one was closed for the weekend that I was there tho. Do you know of any quilt shops in Winnipeg?? It's great to see you teaching and spreading the joy of quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new shop location looks lovely - so bright and inspiring! I love the warm colors of the mini Good Vibrations that is hanging in the shop. Wouldn't it make a great baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new shop looks awesome! Hope your MIL is adjusting nicely. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lovely shop and a fun class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that shop looks delightful ... hard move for your MIL hope she settles in and makes it her new home ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was there last week too! It's a beautiful shop. So bright and cheerful. I'm sure the class was enjoyed by all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful looking quilt shop! Sure makes me wish I was an awful lot closer!! I am also sew very impressed with the students' work. All of those quilts are going to be keepers!!! I am loving working on your City Slicker pattern. Great designer and obviously you extend your love of quilting through to your students. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete